I’ll be honest, when I first heard the new trend of eating smoothie bowls, I couldn’t understand the hype. What’s the point of a smoothie in a bowl when it’s so much easier just to drink it? Well, I decided to try it a couple of months ago and I’m glad I did because it’s delicious. It’s super refreshing and my kids think they’re eating dessert when really, it’s just smoothie in a bowl!
When you eat it in a bowl, it’s really all about the toppings. Do you remember my yogurt bowl post? It’s pretty much the same except you substitute the yogurt for smoothie. When blending smoothies, here’s a few recipes I like to make. This usually serves 4-5 people. I buy all of my frozen fruit from Costco since we go through them fairly quickly.
Mixed Fruit Smoothie (place the following ingredients in order inside the blender)
- 1 cup of spinach or kale
- 2-3 frozen bananas
- 1 cup of frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen mango
- 1-2 cups of whole milk, orange juice or water (depends on your preference of sweetness)
- Optional: Honey or Agave Syrup (not necessary when using juice)
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- 3-4 frozen bananas
- at least 2 cups of frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup of yogurt
- 1-2 cups of whole milk, orange juice or water
Chocolate Avocado Smoothie (from my post here) This one is my favorite!
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 frozen bananas
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2- 1 full avocado (add a full if you prefer a super creamy texture)
- Optional: 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
I also love frozen peaches and pineapple so just add what you prefer. You really can’t go wrong.
For the fruit smoothie, I love adding sliced almonds, fresh berries and chia seeds. You could also add flaxseed, granola, or other fruits and nuts with a dollop of yogurt on the top. You can get pretty creative with different smoothie flavors and toppings.
This has become a great afternoon pick me up for me and the kids. I just had one for breakfast this morning. Try it and let me know what your favorite toppings are!
Let all that you do be done in love. 1 Corinthians 16:14