Turn an old mirror into a new chalkboard with a couple of easy steps.
If you saw my Halloween Decor post on Monday, you may have seen my new chalkboard in our front entrance. It actually used to be an old mirror. I didn’t take photos of the process of my paint job but I figured I could just tell you how I did it since it was pretty simple. I liked this mirror because it had a unique design to it and it was the perfect size for our entrance. Here are the steps to turn an old mirror into a new chalkboard. This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.
DIY Instructions on Turning an Old Mirror into a New Chalkboard
You will need the following:
- Make sure the mirror and edges of the mirror are clean
- If you want, you can tape the inside of the mirror. I skipped this step because I wasn’t planning on making my chalkboard look perfect. I was able to still get a clean finish using the right sized brushes.
- I used a white colored chalk paint for the edges and gave it 2 coats.
- Paint the mirror part with CHALKBOARD paint. This is different than chalk paint! Give it about 3 coats and make sure it’s properly dried between coats.
- Using the chalkboard paintbrush that still had some black paint left on it, I lightly brushed the wooden edges of the mirror and gave it a gray finish all around.
- After completely drying after a day, I sanded the edges on some parts to expose the original wood underneath. It gave it a rustic finish which is optional.
- Prime your new chalkboard. You do this by marking the whole chalkboard with chalk. Use the long side of the chalk and not chalk marker. Wipe clean with a wet paper towel and it’s ready to use!
- Write your message and display it!
I really love how the frame turned out with the distressed areas. I’m planning on leaving it out here all year long and changing out the messages.
You can do the same thing with an old picture frame. One of my oldest posts was where I shared my love of chalkboards and how I repurposed different items into chalkboards. The possibilities are endless! Hope this post got your creative juices flowing!
Have a great day, friends! Go get your craft on.
Let all that you do be done in love. 1 Corinthians 16:14